Book clubs are becoming increasingly popular, whether it be with a group of friends or an organization led book club. Here at the Willmar Public Library, we love book clubs. And here’s why:
1. Provide a sense of community – when you share an intimate experience, such as reading, with a group of people, you tend to feel more connected to those individuals and in turn form a sense of community
2. You discover new books and authors – many times, book clubs read books that you wouldn’t ordinarily pick up on your own, giving you a wide variety of experiences with books and helping you find new authors or genres you may come to fall in love with
3. A place for self-expression – book clubs allow individuals to express their thoughts and views in an open, non-judgmental environment
4. They provide a welcome place for strangers – book clubs run by organizations are always looking for new members and whether you are new to a town or want to get involved more and meet people, they are great places to start when finding activities to occupy your time
5. Some books have to be discussed – book clubs usually help readers better understand books and they may even change your mind about a particular book; discussions often lead to an examination of themes and important social issues that are better understood when varying opinions come to light
The Willmar Public Library has book clubs for all ages and we are always looking for new individuals to join.
The Children’s Book Club meets the first Tuesday of the month at 4PM.
The Teen Book Club meets once a month on Wednesdays at 4PM. This book club is always looking for members, but you must register first with the library.
There are two book clubs for adults. Novels @ Night meets at 7PM the second Tuesday of every month while the Lunch Bunch Book Club meets at Cornerstone Coffee at noon the third Wednesday of every month.
For those of you who are involved in book clubs already – did you know the library has resources just for you? Check out these Book Club in a Bag titles, which provides you with multiple copies of a given book and a discussion guide to aid in your understanding of the titles.